Originally the King’s Head, the name was changed to the Royal Hotel after the visit by Princess Victoria
(the future Queen Victoria) and her mother, the Duchess of Kent in 1832. It probably dates
from the mid 18th century and like several hotels in Llangollen, would have provided a
resting place for travellers on long coach journeys.
This was where Jonathan Hughes won the Chair at an eisteddfod on 6th January 1789.
The photo shows folk dancers performing to an appreciative audience during the
1957 International Eisteddfod outside the Royal Hotel.
More information: www.royal-hotel-llangollen.co.uk