There has been some sort of education available in Llangollen since about 1700 but the National School in Regent Street,
built in 1840 and the British School in Brook Street, built in 1846, were the first attempts at organised
education before the compulsory education acts of the 1870s.
The National school is now St Collen's Community Hall, while the British School building became
the Penllyn Evangelical Free Church and is now the City Church.
Photo People's Collection Wales.
More information: www.llangollenmuseum.org.uk